Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Commercials Airing During the Olympic Games

Watching any big event on television such as the Super Bowl or the Olympic Games always draws my attention to the commercials. I've been in advertising too long not to notice the good and the bad. A couple of BMW spots caught my attention. I think the first one I saw was the one that drove home the slogan: We only make one thing the ultimate driving machine. Good commercial, fast paced. Loved the woman's pearls blowing out the window. My question is why run the other commercial with the dog that jumps out of the SUV window after hearing the word neutered. It is funny, which may be reason enough. However, the only thing that went fast in this commercial was the dog jumping out of the SUV window. I don't even remember the car moving an inch so how is this reinforcing or even giving a nod to their slogan? Granted the parent driving the BMW SUV is probably not taking many joy rides, but the commercial could have implied that at least the dog was taking a joy ride with its head out the window. Maybe they were just trying to appeal to two very different markets in the same timeframe and hoping that the message in one of the spots would by association influence the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment